The Internet's Super Bowl preview
The country can be divided this week into those who care about the Super Bowl and those that don’t. I unfortunately fall into the former category in a big way as my favorite team somehow did its part to find itself one of two teams standing at the end of the season. Unfortunate because I’m so freaking nervous for this game, especially since I’m in unfriendly territory as a Patriots fan (Go Pats!) in NYC . Thankfully the Internet, as it always does, has been providing some levity leading into this weekend to help calm my nerves.
- Tom Brady (or as some readers might know him better as: Gisele Bündchen’s husband) has a doppelgänger. No word yet on whether the doppelgänger has also has a Gisele lookalike wife.
- Matthew Broderick explains a bit about his Ferris Bueller teaser that only just ended up being a Super Bowl ad and in the process broke our hearts about a possible sequel. Then again maybe a sequel isn’t a good thing after all after seeing how the actual ad depicts a free-spirited Ferris growing up to just be yet another office worker serving the The Man. Yikes, depressing stuff.
- The bet made between Mayor Bloomberg and Boston Mayor Thomas Menino. A better bet in my opinion was the one made couple years ago, which I blogged about here, between the museums of the two respective cities in the Super Bowl.
- Of course if seeing grown millionaires in tights trying to give each other concussions isn’t your cup of tea, you can enjoy an alternative tradition on the same day on Animal Planet which will host The Puppy Bowl VIII with a half time show starring kittens (I gotta admit, I wouldn’t mind seeing this). Here’s the starting line-up of the puppies (cuteness overload warning).
- This might be the only reason I could have for wanting the Giants to win.
Lastly, my favorite link is this: Fraser Davidson created this video that animates Bill Maher’s inimitable explanation of what makes the NFL so great: Socialism.
[Cartoon via New Yorker]